Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Soup Nazi

If you are a "Seinfeld" fan, you know who the Soup Nazi is. I'm a big fan, I think we probably quote from "Seinfeld" at least once a day around our home. The Soup Nazi is a hilarious episode, but it makes me crave soup. That and a cold snap send me to chopping veggies and buying broth every time.

We have several favorite soups around here. My first fave came from my dear mother telling me about how her boss made this simple soup that was so good. Two cans of chicken or beef broth, some minced garlic, onion, salt, pepper and whatever vegetables she had in her crisper. I added meat and some pasta and it became an immediate family favorite. It's so easy, any bonehead can make it. Mom & I call it "Bonehead Soup"!

I've recently picked up a few new tricks in the soup category and am happy to share them with you. There are TWO.

No Baked Potato Soup - from my friend, Caryl

Buffalo Wing Soup - from this blog

These two are so yummy that I keep making them in a cycle, along with Football Soup. Brian is totally over soup now. He asked me the other day - "We've been married for more than 22 years. When have you ever known me to order soup in a restaurant?" Oh well. My love affair with the "meal in a bowl" continues...

NO Baked Potato Soup

Love this one. I've traded it in for a recipe where you had to bake the potatoes as step one. No more!
You Need:
12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
2/3 c. butter
2/3 c. flour
7 c. milk
4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
bunch of green onions, chopped
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 c. sour cream
1 t. salt
1 t. ground black pepper

Cook bacon until crispy - I use the microwave. In a soup pot, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk, whisking until thickened. Stir in potatoes and onions. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat, simmer 15 minutes.
Mix in bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt & pepper. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted.
Serves 6

I use skim milk, light sour cream and to heck with it, regular bacon & cheese. :) We usually reserve about half the bacon for garnish - my boys don't love the texture of the bacon in the soup. This soup is really fast when you are in a hurry.

Buffalo Chicken Wing Soup

You need:

2 cups cooked and cubed chicken
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups fat free milk (no higher content than 2%, or it will curdle)
3/4 cup chicken broth
4 oz Velveeta
1/2 cup hot wing sauce (Use Frank's if you can find it!)
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp garlic salt

A 4 to 6 quart crockpot will work well for this soup. Make a roux with the flour and butter. Melt butter on medium heat, then whisk in the flour. Set aside. Chop up the onion and celery, and dump it into your crockpot. Add the cooked and cubed chicken. Pour in the chicken broth and milk. Add Velveeta. Add the salt. Stir in the flour and butter mixture. Add hot sauce. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4. The soup is done when the celery and onion reach desired tenderness. This is so yummy - I think about making it all the time. Serve it with the Cheesy Beer Bread recipe from here and you might make grown (or teenage) men cry!

I hope you enjoy these recipes! They have blessed me and I pray they will bless you and yours as well.

4 comments:

Janelle said...

No, you're schmoopy.

Julianne said...

But I don't wanna be a pirate!

The Baker's said...

Hi Julianne!
It's April Baker from church. I didn't know how to email you personally. I am SO computer illiterate! Can you tell me how to customize my blog. I love your heading, & the bookshelf. They are awesome.
By the way, I can't wait to try the buffalo chicken soup & cheesy bear bread... sounds delicious!
my email: perfectly.created@yahoo.com

Alana said...

Yum. It is perfect soup weather right now, I'll have to try these out!

Hope you are feeling better!