Monday, October 20, 2008

What Makes a Good Friend?

I work for a very special family. They are homeschooling six children, from age 11 down to age 3 - a mix of boys and girls - all extremely wonderful. I've been with them since just before the youngest was born. My job used to be to take care of the little ones so Mom could teach the older ones. Now I just help teach - and whatever else needs doing. It's a blast. They are family to me.

Today, as I was helping one of the older boys with his math, (no comments, please!) I looked up and noticed a 4x6 index card propped up on his pencil box. Then I noticed that two of his brothers had similiar cards at their seats. What they wrote on these cards gave me some things to think about on the subject of friendship.

The first card said this:
"Proverbs 17:17 'a friend is born for all times, and a brother is born for adversity.' What Makes a Good Friend? Being: slow to speak, easy going, listens, athletic, funny, adventures, brave, loves God, knows you, follows up on komitments, honest, creative, cheerful,"
It ended with a comma, so I think he plans on continuing his list. Love the 10 year old spelling of commitments!

His older brother's list of good characteristics in a friend are: funny, athletic, loves God, listens, peacemaker." You would have to know this young man to understand how serious he is about his friend being athletic - he is not joking!

Their younger brother's qualifications were simple: who loves you, who loves God, who obeys you, who likes you" Note the "who obeys you" one! Not sure if he meant the friend should obey him or God! He would surely love a friend to obey him, as he has two older brothers telling him what to do all the time!

As kids, they seem way ahead of the game. They are learning what to look for in friends and what kind of friend they should be to others. How great is that? But it made me think long and hard about how I am doing in the area of friendship. Do I meet any of their expectations - or others?

I know that I am blessed with many, many amazing friends. Lots of family members are pals now that we are adults. I've got friends all over the country ... they meet the above requirements and then some! I am so grateful today not only for my friends, but also for being able to be a friend - hopefully a good one.

What would be on your list today? What are you looking for in a friend?

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

2 comments:

Janelle said...

Great post, J. I have been so blessed with good friends. I love our common interests, accountibility, truth (even when I blow it), laughter, and there is the cute factor. I have the cutest friends!

Alana said...

What a great post...and food for thought. My list would be loving, honest, real, comforting, easygoing, loyal, good at keeping confidences, I could go one...