Saturday, October 18, 2008

Football Soup

Okay, I just had a bowl of soup for dinner. Really good soup. Really. Good. Soup.
And I made it! Doesn't that just make it even better? When you pull something out of your hat (or crock-pot) and it just works? Love it.

Tonight we were supposed to be at the surprise 50th birthday party of a dear friend (Happy Birthday, Kurt! We love you!) but ended up spending the evening with about 10 high school boys watching the Mizzou vs. Texas game instead. It's a long story. But suffice it to say that curveballs are the norm around here and I'm learning to go with the flow. :)

It was about 4:00 when our plans to attend the party fell through and I was made aware that my house would be full of hungry young men (yet again) by about 6:30. Pizza is always an option, but it's gorgeous fall weather today - sunny and about 60 degrees. Perfect for something hot & filling. The guys were playing touch football and were coming straight here to watch the game. It was CHILI TIME, right? Wrong! I just wasn't feeling it. For a moment I considered making POTATO Soup or maybe even my new BUFFALO CHICKEN WING soup, but they take TIME and I had none to spare. So off to my recipe binder I went -- moments later I find just what I'm looking for: White Chili or Football Soup as it is alternately called. Perfect.

So with a quick trip to the grocery for onions & chopped green chilis I was set. This was so easy to make. My favorite qualification for new recipes! It turned out so yummy and just what we needed to fill all those hungry boys. Well, the soup, some breadsticks, fruit snacks, goldfish crackers, peanuts, grapes, Kit Kats and the 5 pizzas we had delivered. LOL. What are you gonna do?

So here's the recipe. I plan to blog the other recipes I mentioned above in the coming days. It's fall and it is the least I can do to help my friends celebrate the cooler weather.....

White Chili (Football Soup)
Credit The Blue Owl Restaurant in historic Kimmswick, MO.

1 T. olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 (4 oz) cans chopped mild green chilies
2 t. ground cumin
1 1/2 t. dried oregano, crumbled
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
3 (16 oz) cans great northern beans, undrained
6 c. chicken stock or canned chicken broth
4 c. chopped cooked chicken, to taste
3 c. grated monterey jack cheese (about 12 oz)

1. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
2. Add onions and saute until translucent, about 10 min.
3. Stir in garlic, then chilies, cumin, oregano, and cayenne and saute 2 minutes
4. Add undrained beans and stock and bring to a boil
5. Reduce heat and add chicken and cheese to chili and stir until cheese melts.
6. Season to taste with salt & pepper and ladle into bowls.
7. For freezing: Pour soup into container or freezer bag, label and freeze. To reheat, thaw in refrigerator overnight or simply put frozen soup into a large pot and gently heat, with lid on and stirring often, til heated through.

It's a good thing.

Mom, this would be great for you and dad. Easily halved. :) You will love this.

And Shelly? This is one thing I plan to make for you, Phillip & your mom when Canon finally arrives - ANY MOMENT NOW! :) (Please, LORD?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds yummy!

Alana said...

YUM! I may have to try this one...I only do easy recipes these days. Plus, it doesn't sound like it will be too bad on the Big D ;-)